Monday, October 18, 2010

1965 - lesson one - no choice really...

The question posed to us girls was "do you want to go live with these people as your family?"  We stood in the room fidgeting... she said yes, i said "no. Did you look at that woman? no i don't want to go with her, the dad seems fine... she scares me... "  sissy told me she would take care of me.. we had to go together, or they would split us up...
hhhmm sissy pouring tea, the visits, i don't want to go, but if it is with you - you promised....

I was three and a half... sissy was 5. We had no idea what her yes and my no would get us into... We thought it was a family... a mom and dad, two brothers and a big sister... on a farm.... seemed ok... He was a preacher, she worked in a government job....

I wouldn't have to beat anyone else over the head with the barbie dolls i did not want them to have, especially if the doll was mine... i wouldn't have to cut my own hair... and i wouldn't have to stand at that stupid glass and screen door begging the person that just left - to take me with them... usually it was a man in a long dark coat, teacher shoes of the 60's (brown with dots around the top of the toe (air holes?) ... please mister don't leave me here - take me with you... i promise i will be good...

No comments:

Post a Comment